COMMUNICATION AND INTERACTION NEEDS (COIN) CENTRE
The Centre at Broadwater School is a specialist Low COIN (Communication and Interaction Needs) Centre. The Centre was established in 1997 and is one of 7 Secondary Low COIN Centres in Surrey funded by the County Council.
All the students need to have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) requiring arrangements to support Speech, Language and Communication (SLCN) difficulties. Students are allocated places as part of the admissions for students with EHCPs.
The Centre works as part of the Broadwater School’s SEN department. There are 3 teachers who are primarily employed to work with the Centre students. However we all work as part of the SEN team and are involved with teaching/supporting the COIN Centre students and other students as well. In this way we ensure that the Centre provides an inclusive provision for the students.
Leader of SEN
Mr Jason Illingworth J.Illingworth@broadwater.surrey.sch.uk
Lead teacher of the COIN Centre
Mrs Claire Link email@example.com
For information about the admissions process to Specialist Centres for children with SEND please visit the Surrey County Council website:
Lower School – Key Stage 3
Students in Year 7 have English, Maths and Humanities (Geography, History & RE) in small groups taught by COIN Centre staff. The schemes of work are differentiated to meet the students’ language needs.
Students in Year 8 and 9 have English and Maths in small groups taught by COIN Centre staff. The schemes of work are differentiated to meet the students’ language needs.
In addition, the students in Years 7, 8 & 9 do not usually take French or Spanish. In the place of a language they have Curriculum Support with a Specialist teacher. The teacher collaborates with the mainstream teachers to find out what topics they are taking and then pre-teaches vocabulary, develops new concepts, teaches study skills and helps the students develop organisational strategies.
Support in mainstream classes varies dependent on need and staff availability.
Students in Years 7, 8 & 9 may have individual withdrawal sessions for literacy, numeracy, coordination/organisational skills, emotional literacy support and behaviour management according to need.
SPEECH AND LANGUAGE THERAPY
Speech and Language Therapy
- If a student requires direct 1:1 therapy they will be withdrawn from Curriculum Support for this.
- If SLT support for vocabulary and concept development is required the SLT may work with the Curriculum Support teacher in these lessons.
- If support is required for understanding instructions or curriculum subject content the SLT may work with the student in a mainstream lesson.
- If a student needs support with developing social communication skills the SLT may work with a pair or small group of students with similar needs.
- The SLTs work collaboratively with COIN Centre staff to ensure students have every opportunity to develop their language skills through the core subjects of English, Maths & Science and within Curriculum Support.
- The SLTs are involved in the informal and formal training of all Broadwater School staff which helps to ensure all staff are aware of the needs of the students and how to support them.
COIN Teaching Staff:
Mrs Claire Link (Head of Centre & Maths) Email Mrs Link or contact by phone via the SEN department office 01483 520683
Ms Ruth Till (Curriculum Support & Year 7 Humanities)
Upper School – Key Stage 4
In Years 10 & 11 students have English and Maths in small groups taught by Centre staff. Students may be supported in mainstream classes for GCSE options dependent on need. Some students are offered Curriculum Support with a Specialist teacher instead of one the options if it is felt this extra support is required. The teacher collaborates with the mainstream teachers to find out what topics they are taking and then pre-teaches vocabulary, develops new concepts, teaches study skills and helps the students develop organisational strategies.
Surrey SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SSIASS) https://www.sendadvicesurrey.org.uk/
ICAN Charity https://www.icancharity.org.uk/
Speech and Language UK https://speechandlanguage.org.uk/
The National Autistic Society https://www.autism.org.uk/
Raising Awareness of Developmental Language Disorder https://radld.org/
Afasic – voice for life https://www.afasic.org.uk/