Friends of Broadwater PTA
Registered Charity Number: 1162453
Contact Us: Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Twitter: FriendsofBWS
Like us on Facebook: Friends of Broadwater School
Next Meeting: Friends AGM & Committee Meeting Tuesday 3rd October 7-9pm. Please see AGM Invitation
Latest News: Newsletter July 2017
Please join us for our Annual General Meeting (AGM). We’ll review the year and then elect a new committee. The AGM will be followed by a short committee meeting to plan the schedule of events for the coming school year. All are welcome to attend.
Our current Chair, Moira West-Brown, is stepping down at the AGM as her youngest child enters Y11. We’d love to hear from anyone interested in taking over the role of Chair. We’re a friendly group and there’s lots of volunteers in place coordinating various tasks (Quiz, 2nd Hand Uniform, Raffles, Textiles and more!) Plus our Secretary and Treasurer plan on seeking re-election to stay in their roles.
Please contact us if you’re interested in finding out more details or putting your name forward as Chair.
Friends Social Gathering Friday 22nd September at 7:30pm in The Jack Phillips, Wetherspoons in Godalming. Please save the date and join us for a chance to chat with other parents in a relaxed and friendly environment - all parents/carers welcome! This is a great opportunity to get to know one another, regroup, meet & welcome new members. No action items and we're not serving refreshments, just enjoying them :-) Don't worry if you can't be there at 7:30pm, just come along when you can. We'll be there until at least 9pm. Email email@example.com or leave your name and mobile number with Reception, if you'd like to come along. That way we can let you know where to find us. We hope you'll join us. We’ll send out a reminder via Parentmail at the start of the Autumn term.
Textile Recycling Fundraiser
Please gather up any unwanted clothing/textiles for us over the summer and we'll send out a Parentmail next term with details of our Autumn collection dates.
2nd Hand Uniform
Looking to purchase an item of 2nd hand uniform?: Contact School Reception with the type of item(s) and size(s) you’re looking for to see if we have those items in stock. We have lots of great quality trousers (mostly boys) & shirts/blouses, plus a selection of jumpers, blazers, skirts, PE kit & sports holdalls. All items are priced according to their condition (as-new, good, acceptable). Please see our current price list.
We also hold a 2nd Hand uniform sale once a year (usually in the Summer term).
2nd Hand Uniform Donations: If you have any unwanted uniform (blazers, trousers, skirts, shirts/blouses, jumpers, ties, PE kit & bags etc) we'd greatly appreciate it for our 2nd hand uniform store. We accept items in any condition: items that are unsuitable for sale, will be added to our next textile recycling collection. Please hand in your donations in bags marked '2nd Hand Uniform', at Reception. Thank you!
Please note: In cases of hardship, senior members of school staff can provide a student with items (at no charge) from our 2nd hand uniform stock.
Please help advertise Open Evening
Last year 50 families helped raise awareness of our School's Open Evening by displaying a Broadwater School Open Evening advertising board on their property. The boards contributed to the great turnout at last year's Open Evening and their sponsorship from Belvoir estate agents raised £600 for our school!
This year's Open Evening takes place on Wednesday, 11th October. To publicise the event and boost funds, we're working with Belvoir Estate Agents again, but we need your help.
We need 6 more families willing to display a Broadwater School Open Evening advertising board on their property (any GU1 to GU8 postcode). Whether you live on a main road, or in a cul-de-sac, we'd appreciate you taking part! If you can help please
Belvoir will produce the boards, and organise for them to be erected, and removed – you won’t need to do a thing. The boards will be put up (in late September) and taken down (asap after 11 October) by their team. Last year, all the boards were removed within 3 days of the event. An example of last year's board is included in the attachment.
Up to 75 families can sign up to help. If all 75 boards are erected, Belvoir will donate £825 to the Friends/PTA. The money raised will be used to buy items on the school's wish list.
Anyone (parents/staff, friends, relations & neighbours) with a GU1 to GU8 postcode can have a board, provided they sign a consent form.
If you can support the school in this way, please complete and sign the consent form and return it to School Reception/Student Services (marked 'PTA Open Evening Board) as soon as possible. Many thanks for your support.
Quiz Night 2017 Review
Thank you to everyone who contributed to its success. Your incredible generosity and support resulted in £718 being raised for our school (£203 was raised just from the raffle!). We hope that all who attended, enjoyed the evening and that even more of you can join us for next year's event on Friday 23rd March 2018.
Please join us – it's free & easy! Raise money for our school (at no cost to you!) whenever you shop online.
Use the link below & choose Broadwater School, Godalming as your 'good cause'.
Thanks to all those who support our school via Easyfundraising we're on target to raise over £50 this quarter!
How can you help....
You are welcome to join us at the Friends committee meetings to put ideas together as to how we can fundraise for the school as well as helping to support and develop plans for the school from the teaching staff. These meetings are fairly informal and are normally held half-termly at 7pm for about an hour.
Raffle prize and second hand uniform donations are always welcome. Please drop any items that you 'd like to donate at Reception.
We currently have the following elected officer members:
- Chairman - Moira West-Brown
- Treasurer - Estelle Spencer
- Secretary - Nicki Bartlett
If you are unable to make these committee meetings but could help at events please email your contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will put your name on our volunteer helper list.
We would be delighted if you would like to get involved and offer to help in whatever way you can with whatever time you have available.
School Wish List 2016-17
Thanks to your ongoing support we’ve been able to purchase ALL the items on this year's School’s Wish List:
- Football & 3 Netball Kits for School Teams (£700) – PE Dept.: Ensuring our students look smart when representing their school team;
- Yoga Classes Y10/11 (£336) – PE Dept.: Providing an opportunity to experience a life-long fitness option and relieve revision/exam stress;
- Hairy Phonics & Nessy Fingers Software (£300) – SEN Dept: To reinforce phonics and help students who struggle with handwriting;
- 3D Pens (£300) – Art Dept: To provide students with an additional, exciting medium for use in coursework;
- Eikon Summer Residential Contribution (£300) – Helping to subsidise 6 vulnerable Broadwater students to ensure they can attend an Eikon Summer Residential;
- Tents for Duke of Edinburgh Award Expeditions (£240) – Ensuring the DofE Award experience is accessible to every student who wishes to participate;
- ClickBind Binding Machine and Supplies (£200) – Graphics Dept: To enable students to create their own sketchbooks;
School Wish List 2015-16
School Wish List 2015-16
Your support throughout has funded ALL the items on the School’s 2015-2016 Wish List
- Visual PC/How a Computer Works Software (£400) – Computing Dept: Virtual reality simulations & visual demonstrations of computing concepts/components;
- Read/Write Gold Software (£320) – SEN Dept: Greater student independence (e.g., can read a printed document independently via software & headphones);
- GoPro Hero 4 + accessories (£295) – Whole School: For use on school trips/activities (ski trip, water-sports, PE, DofE etc);
- A3 Printer/Scanner plus supplies (£250) – Art Dept: Enables students to enhance their artwork;
- Proactinium Generator (£240) - Science Dept: Will be used to demonstrate the half-life of radioactive materials;
- Bookcase (£250) – Library/English Dept: To encourage reading and promote literacy with an attractive display;
- Sheet Metal Machine (£220) – Art & Design: Enables students to experience a wider range of metal processes;
School Wish List 2014-15
Items funded on the school's 2014-2015 wish list. Thanks everyone!
The Friends of Broadwater School ...would like to welcome you to the school and take this opportunity to give you a little bit of information about us. We operate under the PTA-UK (Nov 11) model constitution, which was adopted at the September 2014 AGM.
As the school’s Parent Teacher Association the Friends of Broadwater aim to :
- build a strong school community by bringing together parents and carers of students at the school, teaching and non-teaching staff and 'friends' associated with the school
- develop strong local community links with local business & services such as GOLO (Godalming Lottery) as well as local junior schools &our partner sixth form Godalming College
- undertake fundraising activities to help provide additional resources to support the school and the students
- provide a service to the school on behalf of the parent body to give an opportunity for everyone to work towards a common goal, find out how the school works and help improve the way we work together.
All staff, parents and friends of students at the school are automatically members of the Friends.